Monday, August 9, 2010

Sometimes B.C. - S.R.S.

I heard the A.D. (and English) version of this song at the end of the movie 重力ピエロ and didn't even realize there was a whole other Japanese song until searching for the band online. S.R.S. has since become one of my favorite Japanese groups of the moment. I'm going to see them on the 25th, so I'm trying to spend some time learning lyrics before then :)

Japanese lyrics are here.

Even though you don't notice I'm pretending, my heart trembles (1)
In a darkness where the future couldn't be seen, wasn't that a star or something I saw?
You were gazing at me; I want to see you (2)

A person's shadow cast by the streetlight
follows after you, seemingly anxious. (3)
The messengers of my heart are all black horrible guys...

I want to to change now, into a better man
I want to be able to wrap you up in love
I can't skillfully put this idea into words
The night sky is looking a little prettier than usual.

Truth is not only what the eyes can see.
If I could show you what's inside my heart...

I want to to change now, into a better man
I want to be able to wrap you up in love
I can't skillfully put this idea into words
The night sky is looking a little prettier than usual.
It's too beautiful. (4)

(1) Somebody doesn't notice something, but it's very contextual as to who/what. Given that it's the first line of the song, I'm not entirely sure how you're supposed to know : /
(2) Literally: "I want to see you who gazes at me" -- but who in English would say that?
(3) Honestly it's really hard to have a point translating this song's verses, because I really can't tell the subjects. Just vagueness. I sort of feel like he was talking about her shadow, but in a way that made it a metaphor for the black messengers of his heart? But I wasn't really sure how to convey that, or if that's even what they meant : /
(4) Small liberty: "It's too prettier out than usual," is not English.

No comments:

Post a Comment