Saturday, August 21, 2010

おやすみ君のこと ー OKAMOTO'S

This is one of my favorite Okamoto's songs that I hadn't heard until I picked up their first full-length album, 10s. It has a simple melody, so it's easy to sing in Japanese.

When You're Asleep - OKAMOTO'S (.5)

The faintly tinted morning light, reddish, streams in
As always, morning is here
Let's just let it be over (1)

Before you open your eyes
I'm leaving
It'll end sometime, everyday before it ends (2)

I'm gonna leave quietly so as not to wake you up.
I hope I won't wake you up when you're sleeping

It's not that I'm running away, but
if it stays like this, I'll rot
I want to bounce back into the sky tomorrow (3)
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it (4)

I'm gonna leave quietly so as not to wake you up.
I hope I won't wake you up when you're sleeping

Bells are ringing off in the distance
I'm hurrying home, such a rascal (5)
As always, morning is here
Let's just let it be over

Let's just let it be over
Let's just let it be over
Let's just let it be over
Let's just let it be over

(.5) Ahhhh this title is not easy to do. The meaning is clear, but the actual words to use in English are not.
(1) I really hope I got the grammar right on this ._.
(2) This part I thought about for a long time. I wonder if maybe it's an idiomatic form or something... It's almost poetic the way it is, but I'm not sure if it's correct. Sounds awkward...etc.
(3) "tomorrow's sky" sounds too weird. This sentence is still weird, because no one would say this in English. I guess I could just say, "I want to be free tomorrow" or "I want to fly back into the sky tomorrow."
(4) 踏みしめる is "to stand firmly" or "harden by treading" so I decided that meant that he's taking this excuse seriously and translated thusly. I dunno if it's right or not.
(5) I almost went with "jerk" :P but then didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment