Thursday, September 20, 2012

エミリー - 井上陽水

If you think this is narcissistic,  talk to my friend who recommended the song to me.

PS - This was actually quite difficult and you can read why in the notes and also why it might be partially incorrect (or just a wonky interpretation, let's say).

PPS - Here is a cover of the song:



Emily - Yousui Inoue

Emily
I can't forget the way
your eyes looked that evening
The sky was fading into twilight
As if it were whispering to the night

Emily
First love
is what summer is for [1]
The stars in the sky, too
Seem like they're wandering through the night

On rainy days, and farewell days
dreaming of summer sun
being loved, being swept away
I'll disappear on [2]
a star's revolving journey [3]

Emily
The important thing
is to be happy
But don't say anything
more than that, ok? [4]

On rainy days, and farewell days
dreaming of summer sun
being loved, being swept away
I'll disappear on
a star's revolving journey

Notes:

[1] I feel nervous about this because it hangs あこがれ out to dry, but I stand by it in terms of meaning and attitude.

[2] The subject is incredibly not literally in the song. At first I actually kept this as a gerund "disappearing" and I think you could do that, but then I realized he's not dreaming about that too. Someone is actually doing it. Either her, him, or both. I decided it can't be her because it's present/future tense. And dude wouldn't be singing this song if they were together, I don't think; seems pretty lonely. So I think he goes off alone.

[3] Then there's the other thing that throws a little chaos on the fire. I read たび as 旅 since the stars had already been kind of personified as wandering through the sky I figured it referred to that journey. Right? I think that is the correct interpretation but I realized that it MIGHT also be possible to read the whole two lines as, "When (度) the star goes around you vanish," or something hopefully less wonky than that. And it would have to be "you," cuz it's wouldn't be the singer or them together. SO. I don't really like that version and I don't think it's right (she doesn't seem like that kind of girl :P), but I do wonder if a Japanese person would read it like that way or not. I might just be overthinking it due to the hiragana.

[4] This strikes me as weird even in the original Japanese so for that reason I'm a little hesitant on the translation. If you think about it, it's really depressing, though, so maybe it's right...

Is this really that sad of a song or am I on crack? ( ノД`)シクシク…

No comments:

Post a Comment